Wednesday, October 07, 2015

There are limits.

I can't help everyone. No one can. Not even the Gateses and their billions together with the Oracle from Omaha's billions. For each and every one of us, there is a finite number of people we can help in our whole lives. That should give us pause, but it very rarely does.

Obviously there are at the top of my list those whom I have no choice but to love and to help, even if they still think I am an idiot: the two Old Gals, Her and Her's future mother-in-law. They come first. Always. So what if its nepotistic? I love them very much. Deal with it. Then come the Necessary Evils and the Siku Kuu Brigade, though I think the Chairman still trumps them all. Then come the nicer friends, the ones you know you love but won't admit it to them. After that, I have to prioritise.

That sounds harsh. But that's because you think I should walk around with sackcloth on my black and my hair covered in ash. Maybe the Dalai Lama can pull it off, but no one in this world can care for everyone and anyone that pretends to love the whole world quite likely will one day pick up an AK-47 and set the world on fire.

What makes this beggar worse off than that one, this crippled child worse off than that one, or this blind woman worse off than that blind woman? This world is full of suffering and my heart is simply not big enough to carry all that suffering. I will pick and choose, where I can, those for whom I will direct my charitable efforts. If it turns out that that is one person, what's it to you?

No comments:

Some bosses lead, some bosses blame

Bosses make great CX a central part of strategy and mission. Bosses set standards at the top of organizations. Bosses recruit, train, and de...